Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Time Flies

First off I want to let you know how easy this really is. I've had to compromise on some food ingredients a few times at restaurants and there is no getting away from foreign oil but overall I feel good about the journey. So much so that I'm going to keep going indefinitely with a few exceptions here and there. One example is that while I'll still look for deals on Kona coffee I'm going to explore some of my local coffee roasters. The beans will be imported but if I can help support one of my neighbors or friends business venture and get some great tasting, freshly roasted coffee at the same time it's worth it!
Like I've said before, it's not about shunning the rest of the world, it's about supporting American businesses and jobs. I believe it should be part of the purchasing decision process to consider how and where a product was made. I was chatting with one of my neighbors this morning at the kids bus stop about how peoples priorities have changed away from making your neighborhood and town a better place to live. Many people seem to care less and less about their neighbors or the seniors and kids in town doing well and more about how they are doing compared to them, like it's some kind of competition.
We make some great products here and it is a genuine pleasure to find something made by folks that could be your neighbors that you see every day. It's great when it turns out that you would have bought that product anyways because it's better than the cheap imported ones they sell at Wallyworld or the red circle store. I might have to at some point dedicate a few posts to digging up Made in the USA products at these big chain stores but not today. Today I buy a pair of jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment