Friday, November 4, 2011

Coffee

[Link to First Post]


Coffee – the only place where coffee is grown in the USA is in Hawaii. Apparently it only grows in tropical climates with certain conditions. Ugh.
I started with a Google search for [coffee grown in the USA] The first useful hit was to www.Americansworking.com. It seems like a pretty good resource fro a lot more than coffee with lots of links. I’ll have to bookmark this site for future use! (Upon further investigation it seems like there are a few links in a lot of categories so it might be hit or miss but a much appreciated resource that I’ll check often.) 
After perusing their links I came up with these two places:

Dragons Lair: [http://www.pendragonhawaii.com/] $20/lb, $6.70 shipping for ground Kona coffee. They do their own roasting and grinding too! Fancy stuff.

http://www.usacoffeecompany.com/
lefty politics abound, just as expensive but they have some fun products too (if you’re into that sort of thing).

Another option I came across was Maui coffee. It’s lesser known

and a little cheaper and I was able to dig up a reasonably priced coffee from a farm near Lahaina that according to the website [http://www.mauigrowncoffee.com/] was resurrected by a worker after being abandoned by the Pioneer Sugar Company in 2001. They offer a 2lb. bag of 100% Maui Estate Blend Medium Roast for $34 but shipping the package was $12 making this an only slightly cheaper option.
Most of what I found was blended coffees that contain Kona as well as Columbian or some other foreign coffee. Not what I was looking for. I checked for Kona and Maui coffees at all my local stores with no success so I think ordering it online is the way to go. The wifey suggested stocking up on our regular coffee (Peet’s) in December. Not going to happen. I might have a way to save on shipping by having my nephew at the University of Hawaii shuttle a couple of pounds of Kona home on Christmas break. I’ll let you know how that works out but I don’t have the highest expectations of success. If the coffee turns out to be as old and stale as the Macadamia nuts I bought for short money at a flea market in Honolulu last time I was over there I need to have a solid backup plan because I will not succeed without coffee. Mmmmm….coffee. Step One in any successful project.

No comments:

Post a Comment